Just because they have a smartphone in their hands, does not mean they know how to use it.
- 27 million South Africans are NOT connected to the Internet.
- 31 million do not have an email address.
- A majority of those who do have an email address do not know how to use it.
- Only 22% of households have a computer.
- More than 50% of South Africans do have a smartphone - but many of them use them for just WhatsApp and Facebook.
The United Nations defines Internet and the access to information it provides as a basic human right. See: https://www.article19.org/data/files/Internet_Statement_Adopted.pdf